ReferenceAQNO (1987.158)

Map, photograph of, framed. Plan of Limerick city, c.1824, Published by A. & C. Black, Edinburgh, from Black's Guide to Shannon and the West - 1854?

Plan of the city centre showing street plan with names, prominent buildings numbered (1 - 29). Note: Meads Quay, Spaights Q., Lyons Quay, Floating Dock proposed in 1823 but not completed, Marys Abbey (now St. Augustine Place), New Street to Athlunkard Bridge (Athlunkard St), Long Dock beside Courthouse, James Street (beside and parallel to Michael Street), John's Pl. (off Mungret St), Gor S. (Carr St), Spittle Road (continuation of Garryowen), Sayer's R. (end of Roxborough Road), Killalee / Church (shown in circular enclosure), Wind Mill (off Windmill St), New Square (proposed sq. not built - site of Pery Sq), Salmon Weir River (Abbey River). Right, list of premises numbered on map: Reference. / Commercial Buildings

1 City Court House

2 Exchange

3 Cathedral Church

4 Castle Barrack

5 Thomond Chapel

6 Custom House

7 County Court House

8 City Gaol

9 Monk's School

10 (off Old Clare Street) Linen Hall

11 Corn Market

12 Artillery Barrack

13 County Gaol

14 County Hospital

15 Lunatic Asylum

16 Post Office

17 (north side of Lower Cecil Street) George's Church

18 Police Barrack

19 (south side of Brunswick Street) Lord Bishops Palace

20 Earl of Limerick's House

21 Nunnery

22 (St Mary's Convent) Franciscan Chapel

23 Assembly Rooms and Theatre

24 (Charlotte Quay) Gas House

25 St Mary's Chapel

26 Park College

27 Presbyterian Meeting House

28 (north corner of junction of Catherine Street and Upper Glentworth Street) New Barrack

AccessContact Repository.
Repository NameLimerick Museum
AddressThe Old Franciscan Friary Henry Street Limerick City
EircodeV94 C7W1
Telephone(061) 557-740
Repository Web