|Papers of Dr James Doyle, Bishop of Kildare & Leighlin
|Dr James Doyle (1786-1834) was born near New Ross, Co. Wexford. He joined the Augustinian Friars in Co. Wexford in 1805 and then studied for a doctorate at Coimbra, Portugal (1806-1808). Dr Doyle was ordained to the priesthood in 1809 and then taught at Augustinian College, New Ross. Dr Doyle held professorships at Carlow College between 1813-1819, before being appointed Bishop of Kildare & Leighlin in 1819. Dr Doyle became known by the acronym ‘JKL’, taken from ‘James of Kildare & Leighlin.’ As Bishop, he resided at Old Derrig, near Carlow, before moving to Braganza House in the town, in 1826. Dr Doyle was involved in efforts to improve the Catholic position in society, including Catholic Emancipation, which was passed in 1829. He was also involved in the Tithe War of the 1830s as a leader of nonviolent resistance to tithes. Dr Doyle gave evidence on the state of Ireland at parliamentary enquiries in London in 1825, 1830 and 1830. The period of his episcopate coincided with the establishment of the National School system in Ireland from 1831, and education is one of many subjects discussed in his publications. Many churches were built in Kildare & Leighlin during Doyle’s episcopate, including the Cathedral of the Assumption, Carlow, designed by architect Thomas Cobden (1794-1892). Dr Doyle died on 15 June 1834 and was buried in his new cathedral. (delanyarchive.ie)
|Collection Web Address
|Box Bp/01 File JKL.1821/
70: Undated M. Mary A. Lalor, Convent, Tullow to Doyle. Community spirit, Bishop's recent visitation.
|Open for research by appointment with the Archivist, subject to the Delany Archive’s Access Policy.
Transferred by the Diocese of Kildare and Leighlin. The Delany Archive's reference code for this collection is KL/JK
A specific reference number precedes the description of the document. This is needed to call up the document.
|Delany Archive Trust Carlow College St Patrick’s College Street Carlow
|Repository Web Address
|We are grateful to The Delany Archive's archivist Bernie Deasy for her assistance.