CollectionL.C. Beaufort

Transactions of the Royal Irish Academy, volume xvi:
Miss L.C. Beaufort's prize-winning 'Essay upon the state of Architecture and Antiquities, previous to the landing of the Anglo-Normans in Ireland' was read in October 1927, the members, apparently, unaware that the work was by a woman. It runs to 141 pages.

Her thesis was that the first inhabitants and resultant antiquities came 'From the East'. It covers the 'fables and the facts of Irish history', the language and the arts, including house construction, church building, linen manufacture, metalwork, and customs. A broad selection of archaeological and philological evidence is used to support the thesis, descriptions of New Grange and remains at Loch Gur are given. The essay is illustrated with drawings by Miss Beaufort.

AccessBy prior appointment.
Repository NameRoyal Irish Academy
Address19 Dawson Street Dublin 2
EircodeD02 HH58
Telephone(01) 609-0600
Telephone 2(01) 609-0620
Repository Web Address
CommentSome of the information listed from this repository has been extracted from lists available in the archive. These lists were compiled by library staff and we are grateful for their assistance. Where partial or no lists were available, staff of the Women's History Project constructed an outline list. Due to time constraints, not all items in this repository were examined individually.