|Dún Laoghaire Corporation was established on 14 October 1930,
on foot of the Local Government (Dublin) Act 1930, which
amalgamated the Urban District Council's of Blackrock, Dalkey,
Killiney-Ballybrack and Dún Laoghaire. These local authorities had
been constituted as townships in the mid-nineteenth century and
designated as U.D.C.'s under the Local Government (Ireland) Act
The records transferred from the disbanded authorities to Dún Laoghaire together with those extant in Dún Laoghaire's Town Hall constitute the main archive of the Corporation. Also included in this list are primary records created by then Corporation from its inception until 1973, when a full-time borough manager was appointed, and records of the Dean's Grange Joint Burial Board.
The records have been divided into five mini collections in recognition of the independent existence of the authorities prior to the 1930 amalgamation. Each collection has been given the reference prefix L.A. for Local Authority, LA1 is Blackrock; LA2 - Dalkey; LA3 - Killiney-Ballybrack; LA4 - Kingstown-Dún Laoghaire and LA5 - Dún Laoghaire Corporation.
A descriptive list is available for each Collection. See link provided for Blackrock.
|Collection Web Address
|Proceedings of fortnightly, and special meetings of the Blackrock Township Commissioners and Urban District Council from its inception in 1863, pursuant to the Blackrock Township Act, 1863, with details of: attendance, resolutions, correspondence, the formation of standing and sub-committees and the presentation of their minutes, the appointment and remuneration of officials and the examination of regular reports from the town surveyor, sanitary inspector, medical officer of health and rate collector, the striking rates, inspection of accounts, preparation of bye-laws and administration of legislation particularly the Public Health (Ireland) Orders incorporated therewith or amending same. Minutes chronicle the gradual expansion of the Commissioners' and Council's remit and include details of gas and electric lighting, road, drainage, water, housing and general improvement schemes. Indexed, 24 volumes, October 1863-25 August 1933, includes report of cholera in Anglesea Street, 19 September 1866, return of gas lamps in the township, 13 September 1867 and account of passage of the Prince and Princess of Wales through Blackrock en route to Dublin. 456 pages.
|By prior appointment.
|Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council
|2 Marine Rd Dún Laoghaire County Dublin
|Repository Web Address
|The information listed from this repository has been extracted from lists available in the archives. Due to time constraints not all items in this repository were examined individually. When making enquiries please put 'Archive Services' in the subject line of email correspondence.