Collection DescriptionDún Laoghaire Corporation was established on 14 October 1930, on foot of the Local Government (Dublin) Act 1930, which amalgamated the Urban District Council's of Blackrock, Dalkey, Killiney-Ballybrack and Dún Laoghaire. These local authorities had been constituted as townships in the mid-nineteenth century and designated as U.D.C.'s under the Local Government (Ireland) Act 1898.

The records transferred from the disbanded authorities to Dún Laoghaire together with those extant in Dún Laoghaire's Town Hall constitute the main archive of the Corporation. Also included in this list are primary records created by then Corporation from its inception until 1973, when a full-time borough manager was appointed, and records of the Dean's Grange Joint Burial Board.

The records have been divided into five mini collections in recognition of the independent existence of the authorities prior to the 1930 amalgamation. Each collection has been given the reference prefix L.A. for Local Authority, LA1 is Blackrock; LA2 - Dalkey; LA3 - Killiney-Ballybrack; LA4 - Kingstown-Dún Laoghaire and LA5 - Dún Laoghaire Corporation.

A descriptive list is available for each Collection. See link provided for Blackrock.
Collection Web Address

Minutes of the committee appointed by the Blackrock Urban District Council to implement the Maternity and Child Welfare Scheme instituted in 1917. Records attendance, correspondence with the Local Government Board and the Department of Local Government and Public Health regarding administration of the scheme, consideration of reports submitted by the Medical Officer of Health and the Health Visitor and the provision of free milk on their recommendations. Meetings irregular but frequent:

67 11 May 1917-14 September 1927, 225 pages

68 18 October 1927-26 November 1930, 60 pages

69 27 October 1879-29 August 1898, includes minutes of the Amalgamation of Townships Committee appointed to draw up a report stating reasons why the township should not be united with the Kingstown Township, October 1879

70 11 October 1901-10 September 1915.

71 27 September 1915-10 September 1923, ncludes proceedings of committee appointed to consider water consumption

72 17 September 1923-5 September 1927, includes minutes of committee appointed to consider the steps to be taken by the Council in the event of legislation being promoted to alter the status of the district

73 19 September 1927-26 April 1930

74(1) 24 July 1863, Report of the Committee on the water supply at Williamstown, 2 pages.

74(2) 28 March 1866, Report of a Committee on Union Rating, 1 page.

74(3) 15 January 1868, Report of special committee enquiring into the state of the Rock Road surface and crossings.

AccessBy prior appointment.

A specific reference number precedes a description of the document. This, together with the main reference number, is needed to call up each document

Repository NameDún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council
Address2 Marine Rd Dún Laoghaire County Dublin
EircodeA96 K6C9
Telephone(01) 205-4743
Repository Web Address
CommentThe information listed from this repository has been extracted from lists available in the archives. Due to time constraints not all items in this repository were examined individually. When making enquiries please put 'Archive Services' in the subject line of email correspondence.