Collection DescriptionDún Laoghaire Corporation was established on 14 October 1930, on foot of the Local Government (Dublin) Act 1930, which amalgamated the Urban District Council's of Blackrock, Dalkey, Killiney-Ballybrack and Dún Laoghaire. These local authorities had been constituted as townships in the mid-nineteenth century and designated as U.D.C.'s under the Local Government (Ireland) Act 1898.

The records transferred from the disbanded authorities to Dún Laoghaire together with those extant in Dún Laoghaire's Town Hall constitute the main archive of the Corporation. Also included in this list are primary records created by then Corporation from its inception until 1973, when a full-time borough manager was appointed, and records of the Dean's Grange Joint Burial Board.

The records have been divided into five mini collections in recognition of the independent existence of the authorities prior to the 1930 amalgamation. Each collection has been given the reference prefix L.A. for Local Authority, LA1 is Blackrock; LA2 - Dalkey; LA3 - Killiney-Ballybrack; LA4 - Kingstown-Dún Laoghaire and LA5 - Dún Laoghaire Corporation.

A descriptive list is available for each Collection. See link provided for Blackrock.
Collection Web Address

Manuscript letters and reports by the Law Agent to the Blackrock Township Commissioners, John Mallet Williamson, 70 Middle Abbey Street, Dublin, mainly relating to proceedings instituted to secure the recovery of monies misappropriated by a rate collector, the Commissioner's opposition to and parliamentary petition against the Alliance and Dublin Consumer Gas Bill and their dispute with Anderson and Lee, Parliamentary Agents in the matter of their Bill of Costs for the Blackrock Township Act, 1863. Williamson clarifies points of law and outlines the Commissioner's legal position with regard to the striking and collection of rates, maintenance of the Township and contractual disputes, 24 March 1863-21 June 1877, for example:

4 April 1866, includes copy of Council's opinion on the Commissioner's draft mortgage with Hugh Greene.

3 March 1874, includes Letter from John P Kavanagh, Solicitor, objecting on behalf of his client, Mrs Byrne, Ranelagh, proprietor of Carberry House, Blackrock to the proposed erection of buildings in the vicinity of Carberry House. He threatens to institute proceedings if building went ahead.

24 April 1877, includes letter from Williamson informing the Commissioners that they had no statutory power to remove those suffering from smallpox at Williamstown to a hospital or other place for the reception of the sick unless the parties were lodged in a room occupied by more than one family or consented to the removal, 2 pages.

AccessBy prior appointment.
Repository NameDún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council
Address2 Marine Rd Dún Laoghaire County Dublin
EircodeA96 K6C9
Telephone(01) 205-4743
Repository Web Address
CommentThe information listed from this repository has been extracted from lists available in the archives. Due to time constraints not all items in this repository were examined individually. When making enquiries please put 'Archive Services' in the subject line of email correspondence.