Collection DescriptionDún Laoghaire Corporation was established on 14 October 1930, on foot of the Local Government (Dublin) Act 1930, which amalgamated the Urban District Council's of Blackrock, Dalkey, Killiney-Ballybrack and Dún Laoghaire. These local authorities had been constituted as townships in the mid-nineteenth century and designated as U.D.C.'s under the Local Government (Ireland) Act 1898.

The records transferred from the disbanded authorities to Dún Laoghaire together with those extant in Dún Laoghaire's Town Hall constitute the main archive of the Corporation. Also included in this list are primary records created by then Corporation from its inception until 1973, when a full-time borough manager was appointed, and records of the Dean's Grange Joint Burial Board.

The records have been divided into five mini collections in recognition of the independent existence of the authorities prior to the 1930 amalgamation. Each collection has been given the reference prefix L.A. for Local Authority, LA1 is Blackrock; LA2 - Dalkey; LA3 - Killiney-Ballybrack; LA4 - Kingstown-Dún Laoghaire and LA5 - Dún Laoghaire Corporation.

A descriptive list is available for each Collection. See link provided for Killiney-Ballybrack.
Collection Web Address

Minutes of monthly and annual meetings of Killiney and Ballybrack Township Commissioners and Urban District Council with details of attendance, resolutions, correspondence, the formation of standing and sub-committees and the presentation of their minutes, the appointment of officials including the town clerk, town surveyor, engineer, rent and rate inspectors and the receipt of their reports, the approval of estimates, examination of accounts, raising of loans, striking implementation of housing, road, lighting and drainage improvement schemes. Volumes 4, 5, 7 and 8 include indexes:

1 4 July 1876-17 December 1881

2 3 January 1882-2 April 1889, includes correspondence with the Local Government Board regarding the Commissioners' application for a Provisional Order in pursuance of the Public Health (Ireland) Act, 1878, empowering them to assume responsibility for the township's bridges, footpaths and public works then vested in the County Dublin Grand Jury.

3 2 May 1882-30 December 1889

4 13 January 1890-24 May 1897, includes copy of petition to the Houses of Parliament endorsing the Sale of Intoxicating Liquors (Ireland) Bill and its prohibition of Sunday opening, 'the inhabitants of the Township having experienced to a large extent the evils of Sunday drunkeness', 5 June 1893

5 26 May 1897-2 May 1904

6 16 May 1904-7 October 1912

7 21 October 1912-1 November 1922

8 6 December 1922-8 October 1930

AccessBy prior appointment.
Century19th, 20th
Repository NameDún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council
Address2 Marine Rd Dún Laoghaire County Dublin
EircodeA96 K6C9
Telephone(01) 205-4743
Repository Web Address
CommentThe information listed from this repository has been extracted from lists available in the archives. Due to time constraints not all items in this repository were examined individually. When making enquiries please put 'Archive Services' in the subject line of email correspondence.