|South City Markets Fire Relief Fund
|In the early morning hours of Saturday, 27 August 1892, a fire broke out in the South City Markets, off South Great George’s Street, Dublin. The Markets occupied a neo-Gothic building constructed ten years previously with frontage to George’s Street east and Fade Street on the South. A covered Market Arcade bisected the building and ran from George’s Street to Drury Street. The building was rented to shopkeepers, many of whom lived over their shops; and space was rented to stallholders who transacted business in the Market Arcade. The fire was described at the time on the words of Lord Mayor Joseph M. Meade as “… the most disastrous … that had ever taken place in the city”. In fact, although there was extensive loss of goods and possessions, there was no loss of life and the building itself, though severely damaged, was salvaged and restored. The original façade is that which we see today. [DCLA]
|Collection Web Address
Particulars of grants made by the Committee, alphabetical order of recipient, giving address, particulars of loss and amount received, with separate column for weekly grants, c.September 1892.
|By prior appointment.
|Dublin City Library and Archive
|138-144 Pearse Street Dublin 2
|Email Address 2
|Repository Web Address
|The information listed from this repository has been extracted from lists available in the archive. The lists were compiled by archive staff and we are grateful for their assistance. It must be remembered that due to time constraints, not all items in this repository were examined individually.