|Pioneer Total Abstinence Association (PTAA)
|The Pioneer Total Abstinence Association (PTAA) was founded in Dublin in the Presbytery of St Francis Xavier Church, Gardiner Street in December 1898 by Fr James Cullen, SJ. Present at that first meeting were four well known Dublin women, Mrs Anne Egan, Miss Lizzie Power, Mrs Mary Bury and Mrs A.M. Sullivan. Although little is known of these four women they formed the first group of an Association that would grow to become one of the most prominent Catholic movements in the first half of the twentieth century in Ireland. An essential component of the Association was devotion to the Sacred Heart with a focus on the spiritual element in the work of the PTAA. [UCD Archives]
|Collection Web Address
|Alternate Collection Web Address
Correspondence and publications concerning the foundation of the Pioneer Total Abstinence Association and its founder Fr James Cullen SJ, 1885–1922.
|By prior appointment.
This collection was transferred to UCD Archives in 1997 from the Pioneer Total Abstinence Association offices at 27 Upper Sherrard Street, Dublin 1.
|James Joyce Library UCD Belfield Dublin 4
|Repository Web Address