Collection DescriptionDún Laoghaire Corporation was established on 14 October 1930, on foot of the Local Government (Dublin) Act 1930, which amalgamated the Urban District Council's of Blackrock, Dalkey, Killiney-Ballybrack and Dún Laoghaire. These local authorities had been constituted as townships in the mid-nineteenth century and designated as U.D.C.'s under the Local Government (Ireland) Act 1898.

The records transferred from the disbanded authorities to Dún Laoghaire together with those extant in Dún Laoghaire's Town Hall constitute the main archive of the Corporation. Also included in this list are primary records created by then Corporation from its inception until 1973, when a full-time borough manager was appointed, and records of the Dean's Grange Joint Burial Board.

The records have been divided into five mini collections in recognition of the independent existence of the authorities prior to the 1930 amalgamation. Each collection has been given the reference prefix L.A. for Local Authority, LA1 is Blackrock; LA2 - Dalkey; LA3 - Killiney-Ballybrack; LA4 - Kingstown-Dún Laoghaire and LA5 - Dún Laoghaire Corporation.

A descriptive list is available for each Collection. See link provided for Blackrock.
Collection Web Address

Petitions, Resolutions:

(1) 3 April 1867, Circular covering note from J Woodham to the Chairman of the Blackrock Commissioners enclosing a draft printed petition to both houses of parliament appealing for the consolidation into act of the several acts incorporated into the Towns Improvement (Ireland) Act, 1854.

(2) 17 September 1869, circular covering letter from Williams J. Henry, Town Clerk, City Hall, Dublin, enclosing an manuscript copy resolution adopted by the Dublin Municipal Council appealing for fair and fixity of tenure for agricultural tenants, 2 pages.

(3) 15 December 1869, circular resolution adopted by the Board of Guardians of the North Dublin Union. Calls upon the Prime Minister to grant Ireland a Royal Residence and a National Parliament as the only legitimate remedy for the prevailing pauperism and disaffection and protests against the suspension of the Constitution, 2 pages.

(4) April 1871, circular covering note from William J. Henry enclosing copies of printed resolutions adopted by the Dublin Municipal Council calling for equality in education, 3 pages.

(5) 23 March 1877, circular covering letter from the Irish Association for Closing Public Houses on Sunday enclosing a parliamentary petition (missing) in support of a private bill for the closure of public houses on the Sabbath, 1 page.

(6) 16 April 1877, copy of printed memorial from Dublin Corporation to the Earl of Beaconsfield calling on the British Government to do all in its power to dissuade the Italian Government from enacting the anti-Catholic Clerical Abuses Bill, 2 pages.

(7) 4 June 1877, circular resolution form the Town Councils of Dublin inviting municipal bodies to co-operate with the universities, learned societies and corporate bodies in the formation of a local committee to oversee arrangements for the reception of `The British Association' in Dublin 1878.

AccessBy prior appointment.

A specific reference number precedes a description of the document. This, together with the main reference number, is needed to call up each document

Repository NameDún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council
Address2 Marine Rd Dún Laoghaire County Dublin
EircodeA96 K6C9
Telephone(01) 205-4743
Repository Web Address
CommentThe information listed from this repository has been extracted from lists available in the archives. Due to time constraints not all items in this repository were examined individually. When making enquiries please put 'Archive Services' in the subject line of email correspondence.